Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Allowance

Okay, so I'm curious to know what people think about this:

- At what age do you begin to give your child an allowance?

- What do you give them an allowance for?
- Do they have to do chores in return for a small pittance?
- Do they get it just for being alive?

- What amount do you give your child?

- When do they get a raise?


"What on earth are you worrying about this for?" you ask?
Last night my five year old asked if she could have some money to buy her own toys. (She has a problem with destroying her things and I told her that those things were gifts and that she needs to treat them better. Her thought was that if she bought the toys herself, then she can destroy or "play" with them however she wants to.) I told her that I would have to discuss it with her father and we would see if she could start getting an allowance. I told her we would start with her doing some chores and that she would get a quarter a week. Not sure if that's enough.... I know that she will/should work for it. You don't get anything for free. Anywhere. I've looked... I guess when she has her birthday we can add 25 cents to her total amount... I don't know. I'm making this up as I go along. As with many aspects of parenting....

What do you think?

No comments: